Chandlery Yacht Sales is proud to be the California dealer for the astounding MJM Power Yacht line. This article focuses on their most lengthy offering to date, the MJM 50z. We have information about features, specifications, and independent reviews.
MJM 50z – Overview
MJM Yachts has quickly become a major player in the power yacht world. This is likely due to the fact that they have their roots as part of the J-Boat family and a build agreement with renowned Boston Boat Works.
People describe the MJM in a variety of ways. Cutting edge, ingenious layout design, eco-smart and “in a class of its own.” Yachting magazine summed it up well when Chris Cadwell wrote:
The MJM 50z is a thought-provoking yacht with some impressive firsts. It comes from the first builder in the world to make a Seakeeper gyrostabilizer standard. It’s also the first U.S. production powerboat with high-tech epoxy and composite construction. It has a single-level deck spanning nearly half the yacht’s length, plus speed (33 knots) with fuel economy (around 1 nmpg at 25 knots.)quirements. She is a yacht that puts fun and family at the forefront.
There is a lot to love about the 50z. The Chandlery Crew has a few thoughts as well.
Owning a yacht in the 50′ range is great fun, however, it usually takes a crew of 3 or more to launch and dock. That means a couple has to find a 3rd or 4th person to go out for a quick sunset cruise or overnight. The design crew at MJM has solved this problem with some sophisticated, yet easy to operate tech. The result is a 50′ yacht that can be operated by just two people.
MJM 50z – Key Features
- 50 GPH @ 35Kt cruising speed
- Designed to maximize the “fun factor” with generous party space.
- ISO Certified Category A Ocean
- Advanced Epoxy, E-glass, Kevlar composite construction. The same construction techniques used on America’s Cup boats and high tech aircraft.
- Volvo Penta IPS Docking with DPS station-keeping. Designed for two person docking.
- Seakeeper gyrostabilizer. Standard equipment on the MJM 50z
- Generous stateroom with seldom-seen features.
- Quick for a 50′ yacht and unmatched fuel economy.
MJM 40z – Specifications
- Length Overall w / Swim Platform & Bow Roller – 54’ 9”
- Displacement 1/2 load – 32,850 lbs
- Length on Deck – 50‘
- Weight Capacity – 7,172 lbs
- Beam – 15’ 0“
- Max Headroom – 6‘ 6“
- Draft (with Triple IPS) – 3′ 10”
- Draft (with twin IPS) – 2′ 11-1/2″
- Water Capacity – 150 gal
- Gyro Stabilizer – Seakeeper
- Fuel Capacity – 534 gal
- Air Height (w/Radar) – 10’ 6-1/2”
- Standard Power – Twin 435hp IPS 600
- Optional Power – Triple 435hp IPS 600
- Top Speed – 40 kts with Triple IPS Power
- Range @ 7.8 kts – 1,451 nm
MJM 50z – A Few Words From Others
The MJM 50z is truly ready to carve out a niche in the world of performance yachts.
She’s got an appealing design aesthetic, serious engine and fuel-burn cred, and enough entertainment space to throw a party people will talk about for years.
So what’s included, that is usually an add-on with other brands? Besides the gyrostabilizer, other standard goodies include Raymarine electronics, autopilot, and VHF radio; a Northern Lights 9-kW genset; air conditioning/reverse heating; Vacuflush heads; 735 amp hour house and 314 amp hour genset/engine batteries; an ice maker; the microwave and oh, even a central vacuum system. That’s a lot of value already added in.
We could go on and on about this very traditional yet highly innovative yacht. It really is quite unique. As John Armstrong put it after his sea trial, the MJM 50z is built for comfort, speed, stability and economical fuel burn. It excels in all these attributes.